HAWAIIAN MISSION CHILDREN'S SOCIETY (HMCS) ARCHIVES:
Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives
Reading Room Reservation Policy
As part of its mandate, Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives (HMHHSA) is committed to making its holdings as open and available as possible to the public. In this regard, the Reading Room and holdings are accessible to the public by appointment Tuesday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Reading Room is not open on Mondays, weekends, or holidays.
For those individuals wishing to use the Reading Room, Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives will make every attempt to accommodate their needs, and make the Reading Room and archival staff assistance available. However, due to archival staff shortages and digitization and other projects, use of the Reading Room is now by appointment only. The intent of this policy is to allow us to better serve all of our patrons and increasingly make the collection more available digitally. The HMHHSA reserves the right to ask that patrons adjust their appointment request if the Archivist is already heavily scheduled with other patrons at the time requested.
The following process and procedure is enacted to ensure orderly business in the Reading Room.
1. The researcher will request an appointment with the Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives’ archivist at least two (2) weeks in advance of the desired visit. The archivist has discretion to make exceptions to this reservation guideline.
2. It is understood by the researcher that when requesting an appointment to visit the Reading Room at the Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives, any visit will be contingent on previous scheduled appointments and the availability HMHHSA Reading Room staff.
3. If any reprographic service is ordered during the visit, it will be performed by staff during regular business hours and forwarded upon receipt of payment.
4. Where possible, the researcher should order the material s/he wishes to consult in advance of the visit. This requires that the researcher consult HMHHSA on-line catalogs and/or Finding Aids and to communicate with the Curator of Archives by email or telephone prior to visiting.
5. Prior to beginning use of the collection, photo identification must be provided to the archivist.
Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday
10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
* See list of observed holidays below
553 South King St.
Honolulu HI 96813
If you would like to schedule a research visit, please contact the Curator of Archives at
*The Archive will be closed in observance of the following holidays
New Year's Day 2017 (1/1 - closed Sunday and Monday 1/2)
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (1/16)
President's Day (2/20)
Prince Jonah Kuhio Day (3/27)
Memorial Day (5/29)
Independence Day (7/4)
Statehood Day (8/18)
Labor Day (9/4)
Discoverer's Day (10/09)
Thanksgiving Day (11/24)
Christmas Eve Day (12/23)
Christmas Day (12/25)
New Year's Day 2018 (1/1)
Permission Request Form